- What is personal information?
Personal information is any information or data that can identify you as an individual. For example, your name, email address and phone number are all types of personal information.
- When do we collect personal information about you?
We collect your personal information when you give it to us voluntarily. For example, when you give a donation online, you are voluntarily giving us personal information like your email address, billing information, phone number, etc. We will not use your personal information for any purpose other than that for which it is submitted.
- What personal information do we collect and use?
Glimmer collects the following types of personal information:
- First and Last Name
- Mailing Address
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Billing Address
- Cookies and Usage Data
- Why do we collect and how do we use your personal information?
Our goal is to make our website user-friendly in order to clearly communicate the life changing work we do in Ethiopia. We collect your name and email address in order to send you email updates about our impact in Ethiopia. We share stories, photos and videos from the field in order to keep you informed of our progress.
We collect your billing address when we process your donations that fund our work. Any credit card or debit card data you provide to us is securely handled by AffiniPay, our third-party payment processor. Billing information including credit card details is encrypted whenever transmitted or received online. Glimmer never stores your credit or debit card details. We will use your personal information and data to administer recurring donations if you elect to make a monthly gift.
Personal information (name, mailing address, email) is accessible only by A Glimmer of Hope staff designated to handle online requests.
We will not use your personal information for any purpose other than that for which it is submitted, and we never sell or rent your personal information to third-parties.
A Glimmer of Hope may disclose your personal data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation;
- Protect and defend the rights or property of A Glimmer of Hope;
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with using our website;
- Protect the personal safety of users of our website or the public;
- Protect against legal liability.
- How long do you store my personal information?
Glimmer will retain certain personal information and data for financial transactions for at least as long as the law requires us to for tax or accounting purposes. For fundraising and/or direct marketing purposes, we will retain your personal information and data for a limited period of time.
- Security and Protection
Glimmer employs physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard the security and integrity of your personal information, and to ensure that your personal data is protected from being accessed by unauthorized persons or unlawfully processed, accidental loss, destruction and damage. However, please be aware that there are always inherent risks associated with sending your personal data and information by public networks or using public computers. Glimmer cannot 100% guarantee the security of all data disclosed or transmitted to us.
- Children’s Personal Data
Glimmer does not offer any information society services (‘ISS’) to children under the age of 16. To the extent possible with technology and capacity, Glimmer seeks to verify the age of each data subject to ensure we do not process personal information of children under the age of 16. Furthermore, when we do process personal information for children 16 and over, we do so with their active consent. Glimmer always uses appropriate safeguards to ensure children’s personal information is handled with care and respect.
- Lawful Bases
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), we are required to rely on one or more lawful bases to use and store your personal data.
Glimmer relies on the following legal bases:
- Glimmer relies on your free and active consent in order to process your donations, send you an email newsletter or communicate with you with any other type of direct marketing via email. Please note that registered users who opt out of our newsletter may still be contacted via email by A Glimmer of Hope regarding fundraising campaigns you create or other involvement with our site and/or organization.
- Glimmer relies on legal obligation where necessary for Glimmer to comply with a legal obligation. For example, where Glimmer is obliged to share your personal information with regulatory bodies which govern our work and services.
- Glimmer relies on legitimate interest when using your personal data in a manner that you would reasonably expect, and which would have a minimal privacy impact.
We may use third-party service providers to monitor and analyze the use of our website.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
- Automatic Information Collection Services
We may also collect information about how our website is accessed and used ("Usage Data"). This Usage Data may include information like your computer's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our website that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Cookies are files with small amounts of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our website.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our website.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies
- Preference Cookies
- Security Cookies
- Do Not Track
Glimmer does not track its website visitors over time or across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.
- Your Rights
The GDPR is a European Regulation that protects the use and processing of your personal information. Under the GDPR, individuals in the EU, EEA and UK have eight fundamental data subject rights that Glimmer seeks to uphold:
- The right to be informed of how we use and store your data;
- The right of access to your personal information;
- The right of rectification when your personal data are inaccurate;
- The right to erasure or right to be forgotten;
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information;
- The right to data portability of your personal information;
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data;
- And, the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
- How to contact us
Glimmer is committed to protecting your privacy and upholding your individual rights. To that end, if you would like to raise a complaint about A Glimmer of Hope compliance, contact us here.
If you would like to request to be forgotten, to change or review the personal information we may have on file or any other request about how Glimmer processes your personal information, please contact us here.